Monday 11 February 2013

Test Tube Bud Vase DIY Tutorial

Hello there…hope you all are having a great Sunday!

I'm popping in today with a short tutorial on a Test Tube Bud Vase. 

I have been seeing bud vases everywhere - on Pinterest, home decor stores and then I saw one on Shanty2Chic that I loved. 

And with Valentine's Day approaching, I knew I had make me one of those!

To start off, I sketched out a rough design and made myself a mini shopping list. Then I ordered the test tubes online via Etsy and waited impatiently for them to arrive and finally they did on last Friday. Woot woot!

On Sunday we were expecting a couple of our close friends to drop by for some afternoon tea and I wanted to dress the dining room up a bit, well there you go… there's my perfect excuse for some quick and easy DIY home decor! 

So on Saturday, we headed off to Bunnings (our local hardware one stop shop…it's the Australian version of Lowe's, I think) to pick up the supplies, came back and it was all done in less than 1 hour. I had to leave it overnight for it to dry. And I must have checked on it twice at night. I just couldn't help myself… I'm an impatient soul!



So here's a short tute on how you can make one too.

Supplies you will need to make the perfect Test Tube Vase:-

1. Glass test tubes with flat bottoms…I ordered 6 via Etsy ($10)
2. Piece of timber, untreated and ensure it's thick enough for the test tubes (Free from Bunnings as it was scrap wood)
3. Size 25 wood drill bit or depending on the size of test tubes (Investment purchase)
4. Black wood stain ($1.00 worth used. Had this in the garage)
5. Sand paper for distressing (Had this from previous project)
6. Danish Oil for sealing and shine ($2.00 worth used. Had this in the garage from previous projects)
7. OPTIONAL - 1 husband (who is helpful but grumbles constantly about missing out on watching a game on TV!)

So Step 1 - Measure, mark and drill 6 holes with the drill bit
Step 2 is to stain, distress, seal with Danish oil and leave to dry

And Sunday afternoon just before our friends arrived, I put it together with some flowers and frilly drop cloth runner (my first attempt at sewing frills)!


For $13.00, I'm pretty happy with my Test Tube Bud Vase!

The pale pink flowers are so pretty and they were wild and free! I have no clue what they are called. 



 It was the perfect weather today to take gazillions of photographs!


As you can see the wood has a few dints and dips…imperfectly perfect for me!



The holes turned out to be the perfect size for the test tubes. They fit in snug.
Important note: To avoid extra costs or 'investment purchases' check the size of the drill bit you already have and then order test tubes or you could 'wing it' like me…order the test tubes and then go hunting for the drill bit with a grumpy husband! 
Well you know how it goes! :-) 



There's my drop cloth runner. I'm planning on adding a couple of lines on it to make it look like a grain sack.


Don't you think fresh flowers give any room a positive vibe?!


Simple but just right for our dining room. 

  

Perfect for Valentine's Day…I can picture it with lovely pink rosebuds or buttery yellow ones or even some lovely orchids? 
Or how about some long tapered silver or golden dinner candles? That would look so romantic


So there you go, that's my version of a Test Tube Bud Vase! 
I would love to see some of yours!

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial.

I will be back soon, with a few treasures I picked up at a recent thrifting adventure.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

xox
Rani


28 comments:

  1. OMG - Rani - that is so over the top gorgeous -
    First of all I'm pinning it
    Second of all I'm making it!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I love how simple, yet so fabulous it is. Your tutorial pictures are just perfect, too! Thanks so much for sharing at Monday Funday!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love it! Thanks so much for the tutorial. This would look good on my dining room table, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love it!!!! Thanks for all the beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful, I'll be keeping an eye out for test tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful ~ love the photos and the tutorial ~ adding it to my to do list!

    I saw your link at Monday Funday and would love to have you link this (or any other posts) to my party (my first week!) Project Inspire{d} I hope to see you there.

    http://cupcakesandcrinoline.com/2013/02/project-inspired-link-party-week-1/

    Have a great week!
    ~Mary Beth~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Beth for such a lovely comment. I'll drop by for sure. Xx Rani

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up, Rani! I really appreciate it!

    Hugs, Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured this evening!
    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, and join me tomorrow night for Make the Scene Monday #62!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very pretty! Simple and beautiful. I would love to have something like this on my table for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry…its very easy to make! I would love to see your version! xx

      Delete
  10. Awesome project! I'm featuring this on my DIY Monday Funday Features on my blog tomorrow morning!
    Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I'm thrilled to be featured on your blog!!! <3 <3 xx

      Delete
  11. I featured your wonderful test tube floral holder today on Mod Mix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! Cant wait to see more of you!
    www.stardust-decorstyle.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, popping over to your blog now! xx

      Delete
  13. I love your bud vase. I don't know that I will have the patience to make one though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this - will have to go on my list. I found you via The Painted Hive. Hello. Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts...

async defer data-pin-hover="true" data-pin-tall="true" data-pin-round="true" data-pin-save="false" src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js">